March 18, 2020 Update:
- Drive-thru food pantry available in Georgetown: Food Pantry Information
- To support Delaware Public Schools, DART is offering students free bus rides on regularly scheduled bus routes to access school meal programs from 10 AM to 2 PM until schools are back in session: DART Information
March 16, 2020 Update:
Effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020 all Sussex Academy classes will transition to an online format. All grade levels will use Schoology as the main platform to communicate class information. Link to Online Learning Plan
Accessing Free Wifi
Comcast has announced that Xfinity WiFi hotspots across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers. For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, visit www.xfinity.com/wifi. Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots and then launch a browser.
School Meal Program
The Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) has received a waiver from the federal government to allow school nutrition programs to provide meals to students during the closure. DDOE has posted a current list of open meal sites for students. The list may be updated as we receive new information. Sussex Academy students may receive meals from any sites on the list even though they do not attend the districts’ schools. Families may pick up meal bags for children 18 and under who live in their home. Children must be present, but you do not need to sign up in advance to receive meals. Any family needing additional information may contact the Sussex Academy main office.
March 15, 2020 Update
On Friday, March 13, Governor Carney declared that all public schools in Delaware will close for a period of two weeks, from Monday, March 16 through Friday, March 27. Faculty and staff at Sussex Academy have developed a plan to provide continuous instruction through online learning and will be spending Monday, March 16 preparing course assignments. Monday will be considered a day off for students. Students should plan to begin accessing online assignments on Tuesday, March 17. We will send a message to students on Monday which will include a schedule for this week and directions for students to access online learning assignments.
March 12, 2020
March 3, 2020
Staff from Sussex Academy continue to closely monitor the coronavirus (now named COVID-19) situation and will follow any guidance provided by Delaware Division of Public Health and the Department of Education. It is also important to note that there are no confirmed cases in Delaware at this time and that the Division of Public Health has stated that the risk to the general public remains low.
The Delaware Division of Public Health has shared important information on symptoms, transmission, risk, and treatment:
As a reminder, if your child is sick, please keep him/her home from school. To help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including the coronavirus and flu, follow these important tips:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Individuals with chronic health issues and/or individuals experiencing severe symptoms should be evaluated by a medical professional.
- Get vaccinated every year
Sussex Academy will continue to work with health officials to establish protocols in the event that coronavirus does spread in Delaware. More information will be shared as this plan develops.