The Sussex Academy Aquatic Center is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all members and guests. To promote comfort and safety, all individuals are asked to act appropriately in our facility or participating in our programs. In consideration of all members and to ensure your own safety while at SAAC, we ask that your respect our facility regulations:
- SAAC is a tobacco-free campus. Tobacco use is not permitted on any part of the Sussex Academy school/Aquatic Center grounds.
- Members should use only the front door when entering or exiting the building.
- Public Health prevents anyone with infections, open sores or rashes to enter the pool.
- We recommend showering before entering the pool, to remove deodorants, lotions, hair products, make-up etc.
- The State of Delaware requires evacuation of the pool area immediately for 30 minutes after the last thunder is heard or lightning is seen.
- No food, gum, or glass is allowed anywhere in the Aquatic Center. Only water or clear liquids in non-breakable containers permitted.
- Abusive, foul language, and/or fighting is not tolerated.
- Cell Phone use in the changing rooms is prohibited. Please turn your cellular device off upon entering the changing/locker rooms.
- All individuals must be at least 14 years old to be at the Aquatic Center without an adult. If these youth want to swim in the deep-end, they must pass a swim test conducted by a lifeguard when it is convenient for them to administer.
- No running or horseplay allowed anywhere in the Aquatic Center.
- Weapons (e.g. firearms and knives, etc.) are prohibited at SAAC
- Sexual misconduct and/or harassment is not tolerated.
- Anyone who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be asked to leave the property immediately.
- Only SAAC instructors or coaches are permitted to provide instruction or coaching.
- SAAC has the right to add to & enforce our rules & Common Courtesies.
Failure to comply with the above regulations may result in the termination of your membership or guest privileges. Violators will be asked to leave.
Bathing Attire: Appropriate swimwear is mandatory. Swimming in street clothes, such as cut-offs, is not permitted. Clean swim shirts, shorts or pants for coverage are allowed over proper swimwear. A list of items that are permitted and not permitted you can find here.
Key Tags (Pool Members Only: Monthly/Annual/Winter): Must be presented for admission each time you enter the facility (members only). See the front desk for drop-in rates. One key tag is provided at no charge. Replacement tags must be purchased for a fee of $5.00.
Personal Items and Chairs: Supervisors will instruct you to move any and all items that present a safety issue or hazard.
Cell Phones: Cell phone use in the locker room is prohibited. Please turn off your cell phone when in the changing rooms.
Food and Drink: Absolutely no food, gum or glass is allowed anywhere in the Aquatic Center. Only water or clear liquids in non-breakable containers are permitted. Please help keep our facility clean and free of mess. We want to provide the best service and clean conditions for our members. If you wish to eat, please do so in the concession area, away from the pool.
Pets/Animals: With the exception of service animals, pets and animals are not allowed within the Aquatic Center.
Personal Conduct: Management reserves the right to deny entrance to, and/or remove individuals who display conduct which endangers the safety and comfort of others, staff, and public. There is absolutely no horseplay allowed anywhere in the Aquatic Center. There will be no diving in the shallow end, and no diving/jumping/flipping off of the diving blocks. Diving blocks are to be used for swim teams and lessons.
Supervision: No child under the age of 14 may enter the facility without a caregiver. Children under the age of 14 must be under constant watch and control by their caregiver at all times. Caregivers must at least be 18 years old. All children under the age of 5 must be within arm’s reach of an adult.
No Tobacco Use/No Alcohol: There shall be no smoking nor consumption of alcohol at any time on the Sussex Academy Aquatic Center property: including outside entrances, parking lots, or after hours.
Weather policy: Unfortunately, the weather does not always cooperate with swimming plans. The Sussex Academy Aquatic Center (SAAC) will attempt to offer uninterrupted service and remain open as long as possible when there is inclement weather. Our goal is to offer the best guest service possible without compromising the safety of our guests and staff.
Unscheduled Closing Policy: At the discretion of SAAC management, the pool may be closed due to the following related conditions and will be consistent with guidelines and other prevailing practices of like facilities: Chemical, Mechanical, Failure and Water Contamination.
SAAC Communication for Weather and Scheduled/Unscheduled Closures in the following ways: For weather and pool closing updates, check Facebook and/or the main page of SAAC website under “Announcements.” https://www.sussexacademy.org/facilities/aquatics-center/
Swim Test Policy
To ensure the safety of our members and guests, all children age 14 and under must participate in a swimming skills assessment and will be provided with a colored wristband based on their swimming ability.
Blue Wristband: Youth with a blue wristband may swim in any designated open swim area (including the deep end)
Red Wristband: Youth with a red wristband are not allowed in the deep end
Yellow Wristband: You with a yellow wristband are for shallow water swimming only
Non-Swimmers: youth of 14 years of age or younger not wearing a swim wristband will be considered a non-swimmer. Non-swimmers must remain within arm’s reach of a parent/legal guardian at all times.
*Visit the guard station on deck to determine is your child should take the deep water swim test. Sharing of wristbands can jeopardize pool membership. Kindly remind your children to protect and value their wristband. One wristband is given at no charge. Replacement bands must be purchased for a fee of $3.00.*